Blog Archive

Jan 26, 2014

Dogimonial


Guess what? I was sitting on my “right on the computer table so I can be as close as possible to Mrs. Stillman” bed, when I happened to notice a dogimonial she was writing about moi!  I liked it so much that from now on I’m gonna call her Mom. So, instead of my writing a post today, I’m gonna show you her letter.  Here is Mrs. Stillman's letter:

Dear ATAILTOTELL, this is my Dogimonial. 


When the dog of my life, Baby, died, I swore I would never have another dog. 
I was 67 years old and felt I might not be able to care for it.  I thought I could never have a dog as wonderful as Baby had been anyway.  And I certainly didn't want to go through another devastating death.Not just Baby, but all, it seemed, was lost.  I had no children and lived alone.  Close family was light years away.  If I had roots anywhere, I couldn't feel them.  I had no desire to paint my pictures, talk to anyone, or leave the house at all.  Life’s opportunities seemed exhausted for me.

Trying to keep Baby with me, I looked at poodles everywhere, on the street, on TV, on the Internet.  I discussed it with  a friend, " Money is tight, so new expenses seem unwise.  Why should I get another dog to tie me down, waste my energy and deplete my resources?”  He simply answered "because a dog will make you happy.”  What a revelation!  Happy!


I looked for dogs online and found out how puppy mills manufacture dogs as if they were furniture, but with far less care for their products or the workers!  The dire circumstance of some of these innocent creatures made me cry with compassion and anger.  Maybe I could save just one. 


Right before my January birthday Libby appeared on A Tail To Tell’s website.  A puppy mill had used her up and discarded her.  She was old already, just like me, a poodle just like Baby, a little funny looking and frayed at the edges, just like me. 


ATailToTell.com and I arranged the adoption.  I drove down to Pennsylvania with trepidations about the wintry weather and my new pup.  As per plan, I pulled up to the big SUV waiting in my hotel parking lot.  In the back, huddled in a travel crate sat Libby, toothless from neglect, covered with rust colored marks from licking herself in frustration, but otherwise healthy and vetted by ATailToTell.com.'s Vet.

  Libby put out her little paws to her foster mom.  “Please don’t give me away.  Don’t send me back to that place!” I kissed her and told her not to worry, that she would be safe with me, forever.  


I drove off with Libby cuddled in my arms.  We squinted our way through massive white walls of snow.  Our little car shivered in the wind.  We plodded through the un-ploughed highway passing stopped cars and 4-wheelers along the way.  Finally, hours later we skidded to a stop and into our new life.
Every time I looked at Libby, I couldn’t help but laugh. 
She was so funny looking and so cute. She turned her eyes away when I looked at her but followed me with hers every second that I did not.  I stopped worrying about anything else and devoted myself to making her feel safe and happy.

 In time, Libby's hair grew back, her pure black and white markings returned.  She became so beautiful that people stopped her on the street just to marvel at her.  We made new friends everywhere


Yes, Libby has made me more than happy.  In fact, she has changed my life.  Libby inspired me to translate her thoughts into human and write them down in a blog for her.  With Libby's help, I found I could write stuff people actually wanted to read (sometimes).  I gained a feeling of competence and self-respect.  I realized that life was not over for me, that I still had a future.  That life was worth living.  And if that is not reason enough to save a dog's life then I don't know what is.



2 comments:

Kenneth B Lifshitz said...

A truly heartwarming story! What a good friend both of you have now!

Gerry Monaghan22 said...

Libby is a delightful pup. I can see why she & Mrs. Stillman get along so well. Wonderful story, beautifully told.